Last updated: 31 October 2018
We are fully aware that personal data is one of the most important data that we can hold about you so we ensure that it is kept safe and secure and is used only when necessary.
Below you will find a short summary of how and why we collect your data, who we share it with, and what we’re doing to make sure your data is safe and secure.
What does Universal Peace Initiative do?
Universal Peace Initiative unites likeminded people and offers them to be part of the community on the internet platform. This includes offering users access to own personalised accounts on the platform, possibility of communication with other users, making friends, posting blog posts and other digital content. Universal Peace Initiative also offers guides and tutorials across various subjects.
What personal information does Universal Peace Initiative collect and why?
We collect information in order to:
- Create your account
- Maintain your account good health (account activity monitoring data, statistics)
- Monitor Account behaviour (looking for suspicious account activity)
- Provide you with newsletters and other important information
- Personalise and improve your experience of our services and website
- To communicate with you based on your preferences
All information is held on secure servers.
We only use personal data you have given us or that we have collected from you when you visit our Website and/or register for the membership in our community. We do not obtain personal information from or sell it to third parties. We sometimes may share your personal information with third parties, but only to personalise and improve your experience with us.
We never sell your personal information to others for their mailing or marketing purposes.
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into two categories:
- Information that you provide
We may ask you to provide personal information in order to provide our services to you. This includes asking you to provide your contact details to deliver subscriptions to you or to register an account with us so you can access the subscriber-only areas of our Website. It also includes asking you to provide payment information so you can pay for subscriptions or use a one-click order process.
The personal information you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are being asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point you are asked to provide it.
- Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Website and order forms, we may collect certain information automatically from your device.
The data we collect may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
We collect this information so we can better understand the visitors who come to our Website and what content may be of interest to them. Using the information allows us to improve the quality and relevance of our Website and services and amend any website element that is deemed not to be suitable for our visitors.
Who does Universal Peace Initiative share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- To reputable third party service providers who provide additional data processing services, for example, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, and assisting with the processing of credit card payments. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. In addition, they must process the personal information in accordance with this privacy notice and as permitted by applicable data protection laws.
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, or similar other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, or (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights; and
- to any other person with your consent.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the information concerned and the context in which we collect it.
We will normally collect personal information from you where:
- we need the personal information to perform a contract with you (for example, your email address when you subscribe to a free or paid service);
- the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights;
- we have your consent to do so (for example, to receive marketing emails from us or anyone else who we work with); or
- We need the personal information to comply with our legal obligations (for example, our tax and audit requirements and other regulatory obligations)
When joining as a community member you have the option of opting in to our newsletter. These will include news about developments in our community, technical announcements and may include some promotional content. There is an unsubscribe link in each of these emails and you can unsubscribe at any time.
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests, this will normally be to operate and improve our services, Website, and communications. It would also include responding to your queries, undertaking marketing, or detecting or preventing illegal activities. We may have other legitimate interests and, if appropriate, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
How does Universal Peace Initiative keep my personal information secure?
All personal data is stored on secure servers with latest security features. Due to the nature of the platform most of the data is digital but at times we will keep the physical print out of data such as invoices, customer orders etc. These may be printed due to tax and legal requirements and will be held in a secure locked cabinet with limited access in our offices. Where we share data with third parties, we ensure that your data will be kept secure and will not be provided or sold to another party.
International data transfers
If we require third party services of companies that operate outside of United Kingdom your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
If that is the case we have implemented Safeguarding Clauses in our transfer protocols to ensure that your data is protected if data is transferred outside of European Union. All transfers are done in accordance with European Union and United Kingdom Data Protection Regulations which also require any party involved to protect your personal information.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact us” heading below [link]. We may not be able to delete your personal information if we have to retain it in order to comply with our legal obligations, to perform a task carried out in the public interest, to establish, exercise or defend any legal claims or to exercise our right of freedom of expression and information.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact us” heading below.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you.
- We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our behalf across the Internet. These companies may collect and use information about your visits to this Website and other websites and your interaction with our Services in order to provide advertisements about Services that may be of interest to you. However, we do not provide personally identifiable information (such as your name, address, email address or telephone number) in connection with third-party advertisements that will be connected with such information. Such third-party advertising companies may use information about your visits to this Website and other websites to target advertisements for our Services and they may keep track of user response to each advertisement. These targeted advertisements may appear on our Websites or on other websites that you visit. The anonymous information is collected through the use of a pixel tag or cookies, which are industry standard technologies, used by most major websites. To learn more about the use of this information or to choose to not have this information used by certain third-party advertising partners, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/ or go to https://www.adobe.com/privacy.html. Please note that if you delete your cookies, use a different browser or buy a new computer, you will need to renew your opt-out choice.
We also provide extra option on our “Privacy Options” page where you can choose what information you share with us. This option will also appear in the bottom strip first time you visit our website.
- If we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”).
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us by using the Contact Us link on our Website.
The data controller of your personal information is Universal Peace Initiative.